Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 1998 Mercury mystique GS that the alternator went ...

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Mercury mystique GS that the alternator went out on. It was replaced yesterday and now Im experiencing the same problem. It seems as if the votage regulator has gone out. The vehicle has a remote starter installed which Best Buy seem to think might be the problem. The problem started when Best Buy replaced the harness on the stero/CD player. Please advise any help is appreciated. The
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The first thing I would start with, is remove the remote start that best Buy has installed. No offense but usually theses are untrained low paid non professionals and hopefully they didnt damage your factory wiring. Then I would take it to a qualified electrical technician and have the alternator and charging system retested as it just could be a faulty alternator as the regulator comes with it as an assembly. If it does turn out to be the alternator assembly , I would spend the extra money to have a train professional install your remote start. And the Alternator should be covered under warrenty.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Best Buy did not install the remote start for the vehicle. Some shop in Michigan where the car was purchased actually installed it prior to me buying the vehicle. I had it a few month prior to the problem. However, there was a horming noise in the alternator when I purched the car. The current alternator has a lifetime warranty so no problem with getting it replaced. However,the labor to replace it is $200.00 and if I don't have to want to avoid spending that kind of money if thats not the problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Here is a quick and easy test you can do your self. With the car running remove the positive battery cable. If the cars stays running then the alternator is likely working. If it dies then yes its bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I've remove the positive battery cable and yes the car dies. Something appears to be affecting the alternator...possible burning the regulator out.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Its likely just a bad alternator. I would replace it and most likely you will be fine.