HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2002 Ford Explorer: 4.0L 6 cyclinder, running hot..intermittently

2002 Ford Explorer, 4.0L 6 cyclinder, running hot. Pulled thermostat but still have problem. Water seems to cycle through engine intermittently. Hear clicking sounds from behind the firewall area right before water cycles through engine. Hear sounds again and water stops cycling and engine overheats. Is there any valve or whatever behind the firewall that could be stopping the flow of water?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
Did you replace the thermostat or just leave it out? Did you bleed the cooling system since you removed the thermostat? How hot does it run, full hot? Do you have good heat output?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: left the thermostat out for now. Bled system. As I'm watching the fluid reservoir bottle, something clicks and water rushes through the motor and it cools down. Then something will click and the flow of water shuts off and the motor will overheat. Heats all the way to red.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
It should free flow minus a heater control valve if equipeed. We have TONS of issues with the thermostats on both 4.0 liter engine models(use same stat) sticking or hangin open. I would put in a thermostat first and recheck operation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: I stated that I pulled the thermostat in my original question. There is no thermostat in the motor, what else?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
Right and I am asking you to install one and to check the system the way it is supposed to work.Put a new one in and you should bleed the cooling system using an Airvac style system to purge the system of air. An air pocket can form easily inside the system and cause the vehicle to overheat. You didnt mention the number of miles on the truck or if you have had any other problems before or what the coolant looked like when you orignally removed the thermostat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, sorry. 132,000 miles on the truck. Coolant looked nice and green before this happened.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
I would install a new thermostat first and then recheck its overheating concern. Only other real thing that could be going on is a blockage in the radiator flow itself.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No blockage. Seems to be air trapped in system. Upon pulling the cap from the reservoir, air bubbles up through it. Have been running engine while cap off and it is not overheating. Will run until air stops bubbling and then test drive. If all's well, will run down to the parts store and get a thermostat. Thanks