chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

1997 Ford Expedition cant open rear lift gate or ...

1997 Ford Expedition: can''t open rear lift gate or window. How do I get the inside panel off to make repair without being able to open rear lift gate?

Hi there

I am assuming that you can open the liftgate but not the glass---so open the door and take off the upper panel trim ring,,its held in by clips,, use a flat blade screwdriver and work around the panel ---now remove the lower panel , its also held in by clips,, start at the bottom of it and use your screwdriver to work all the way around the panel .

anymore info just ask - we can go back and fourth on this page

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to chris's Post: Rear lift gate does not open, rear window does not open. I will have to take the panel off from the inside with the lift gate closed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are we still communicating? My original post stated I could not open the hatch or window.

Ok , then

you can still pop off the upper panel ,, from the inside ---now the lower is going to take some work , start at the top corners and work down the sides,, and then the bottom - the panel will still be attached on the top center when done ,,, but now you can take a flash light and look under the panel and manually open the door by moving the latch rods--

look above at what I wrote