Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 Taurus: My check engine light is on while idling and blinking

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Taurus. My check engine light is on while idling and blinking while driving.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

How many miles on your Taurus?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: 143,000
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.
The check engine light flashing means you have a direct engine miss, The proper way to determine which cylinder is missing is to do a code scan. But with the amount of miles on the car and if you havnt had your first tune up (due at 100,000) Its likely due. If you havnt done so I would start with new plugs and plug boots. Have you done the 100,000 service?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, plugs, wires, and distributor.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 years ago.
Well the blinking check engine light means you have a direct eng miss, take it by your local parts store and get a code scan and let see if we can get the code or codes and I can direct you better in getting it fixed. Most part stores will do the scan for free.