Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

causes for OBD codes P0731 and P0732 (1st & 2cnd gear ratio ...

Customer Question

causes for OBD codes P0731 and P0732 (1st & 2cnd gear ratio incorrect) on a 2005 Ford F150 FX4 with only 39,000 miles.happened out of the blue under reg driving and have had no previous noises,slips,faults ect.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 8 years ago.
Hello bluboy. Can I get your vin #? Also are you missing both 1st and 2nd gears also? What shift concerns do you have? Steve
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
vin# XXXXX XXXXX dont know if im missing the gears or not from what ive read apparently the truck will go into safe mode so u dont tear anything else up but if i put it in drive it will go but it seems like it is slipping but i think because its in 3rd or 4th gear if move shifter to 2cnd gear will still move but in 1st it will do nothing,and when in reverse it works jst fine.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

The other expert has marked himself away and unable to assist. So I will help out.

Your codes indicate you have solenoid failure or clutch failure. Most likely you have forward clutch damage. and possibly intermediate clutch damage. The first step will be to remove the trans pan and inspect for contamination from metal or friction material. Then you will need to remove the valve body and install a air test plate and check the clutch holding capability. Odds are an overhaul is going to be needed here for this concern.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i guess what im getting at besides what could be wrong is why this has happened with so few miles on truck?..especially since this is jst my weekend driver which i do not drive hard at all have never mudded or abused in anyway and there were no warning signs that something like this was going to dad has owned a construction co for over 30 yrs and we r diehard ford we have abused trucks to no end and never had any such issues and now i hv top of the line truck with over 45000 dollars invested and tranny fails for no reason jst makes no sense. in all my research i have come to the conclusion that it is better to buy new tranny rather than rebuild what do u think? new= $1800+ 3yr 100,000 mi warranty rebuild=1750-2000 no warranty
Why it failed I cant answer this question and be 100% sure I will nail it on the head. Since I am a ford trans tech I see vehicles fail at all different mileages and for all sorts of reasons. Most likely it was built new with a weak component or it had incorrect clutch tolerances which eventually fatigued overtime. At no cause of yours. The rebuild from ford will come with a 12-12 warranty and you already know about the reman. You are correct it is a more definet fix and longer term to replace the trans. One option you have is if you have been a good customer at the selling dealer and you have done your service work there then they may step up and offer you AWA assistance which means you purchase a ford ESP warranty at a reduced rate to help out on the cost of this repair.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok i appreciate your help more thing i have been searching extensivly and have found very little info on is who makes a good aftermarket "performance" transmission for this truck? seems like the 4R75E tranny that i have is not very common or something out of the thousands of tranny shops and such ive only found about 3 that even offer this trans or parts let alone a full "perfomance" trans but all other madels are plentiful
The reason this trans is not offered in high performance catalogs is because the trans isoriginally built pretty strong and can usually uphold the torture it recieves. I suggest you stay with the factory setup.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you have a close estimate of how much it will cost to have bad tranny taken out and new put in? labor only as i will have already purchased new trans and have in crate. just simple swap job
Your looking at about 7.5 hours to replace the trans and flush the cooler and install the remote filter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and dollar wise that comes to about?? 600.00
Depends on the shops labor rate. My ford dealer has a 70.50$ an hour labor rate.
Is this all you needed on this concern. If you appreciate my help and would like to reward myself you must hit the accept button to give myself credit.