Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2004 Escape: keeps blowing..the check engine light..disconnect

Our 2004 Escape keeps blowing a fuse that reads HEGO in the book and it keeps turning the check engine light on when it goes. I can replace the fuse and disconnect the battery and the engine light goes bad. I have called two ford agencies and the service writer cannot tell me what the code means or what it runs. The car runs just like it does when the fuse is good and you can''t tell any problems. What does it run and what can I fix
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• I also need the fuse location# XXXXX amp rating?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is the number 5 fuse in the box on the left front fender and is a 15 amp mini fuse.

Ok here is what this fuse powers/

This fuse is blowing because you have a power side short to ground. This can be caused by a wire being chaffed in the harness and grounding out or a concern in the sensors. You will need to disconnect all the sensors and connect them up one by one and jiggling the wires to see if a certain one causes the fuse to blow.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does this car have all 4 of the heated oxygen sensors on it?
Yes it has 4 heated sensors. The wire diagram I sent you is directly for your vehicle from the ford tech website.