Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

The timing belt broke.. how can I test for the valve damage ...

Customer Question

The timing belt broke.. how can I test for the valve damage that can occur in some cases
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

That engine is non interference meaning that the cams and crank can spin independently and the valves will never contact the pistons.

Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The local mechanic has said that these engines often sustain damage when the timing belt is broken..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
answer my reply - - is there other valve - piston related damage when the timing belt breaks?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
Not that I know of.Generally with ford engines if it has a belt,non interference,If it has a chain, interference.I double checked the ford manuals,no warnings at all for valve or piston damage if incorrectly timed for that engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok now the belt is broke.. how can I align the VCT cams ansd the crankshaft.. the crankshaft has been turned and is certainly not in alignment with the cams..and Im not sure the cams are aligned... although the slots at the opposite end are both horizontal...
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
SECTION 303-01B: Engine - 2.0L Zetec2000 Escort Workshop Manual
IN-VEHICLE REPAIRProcedure revision date: 08/04/1999

Timing Drive Components - Timing Adjust

Special Tool(s)
Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool
303-465 (T94P-6256-CH)
  1. NOTE: Make sure the correct (second) notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block (6010).

Position the crankshaft (6303) just prior to top dead center.
  1. Remove the bolt and install the top dead center timing peg.
  1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the peg.
  1. NOTE: Installation of the alignment tool into the exhaust camshaft (6250) may require the camshaft to be rotated clockwise.

Install the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool on the back of the camshafts.
  1. Install the intake timing sprocket and loosely install the bolt.
  1. Rotate the oil control bushing one full turn and inspect for binding. Position the bushing with the single hole in the 12 o'clock position.
  1. Install a new exhaust sprocket O-ring into the exhaust sprocket.
  1. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket. Make sure that the tab on the sprocket engages the hole previously positioned at 12 o'clock in the oil control solenoid bushing.
    • Loosely install the bolt.
  1. Loosely install the timing chain tensioner.
  1. Install the timing belt.
  1. Engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.
  1. Using a 6 mm Allen wrench, adjust the timing belt tensioner until the index marks are aligned. Tighten the bolt.
  1. CAUTION: The camshaft must be held stationary with an open-end wrench. Do not use the alignment tool to hold the camshaft in position or damage to the camshaft may occur.

Tighten the bolt on the intake camshaft sprocket.

Tighten the bolt on the exhaust camshaft sprocket in three steps.
    • Tighten the bolt to 50 Nm (36 lb-ft).
    • Remove the TDC peg and Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool.
    • Tighten the bolt to 115-125 Nm (85-92 lb-ft).
  1. Install the VCT oil plug.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the correct (second) notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block.

Position the crankshaft just prior to top dead center.
  1. Remove the bolt and install the TDC peg.
  1. NOTE: Installation of the alignment tool into the exhaust camshaft may require the camshaft to be rotated clockwise. If the alignment tool does not align and install in the camshafts, repeat Steps 1 through 17.

1. Remove the alignment tool and TDC timing peg.
  1. Install the bolt.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Every book, every mechanic, says that the 2 L zetec engine (2000) is an interference engine? the replacement timing belt and component kit also says so..
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The easiset way to check for valve damage with out pulling the head is to go ahead and install the new belt and then run a compression test. If the valves are bent then you will have cylinders with no compression.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wait - - you just said that you agree that the engine is non-interference.. now your saying bent valves? I have put a compression gauge in and cannot hold compression in any cylinder.. I'm using an exteemely old gauge.. but none hold
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It is listed as a non interference engine. But if your have doubts then install the belt and then run a compression test. If it hit the valves it would not have hit all of them .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ken - I cannot open the pictures? also cannot find the hole to insert the crankshaft TDC ID pin,, also you say just align the camshafts with the tool.. dont you have to turn them to a certain position No 1 cylinder (i.e when the intake valve has just closed and the exhast valve is ready?) please be clearer about where to set the camshafts... remember, they got separated from the crankshaft when the belt broke.. I don't believe you can just reset them where the slots are horizontal and "go for it".. please resend teh pictures with the first answer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im waiting for your pics on how to align the cam and crank.. remember - -because the cam can be off 180 - and you did not communicate anything at all about positiojning valves... communicate this a little better - - like turning the can just beyond the intake and just befoere the exhaust and them aligning them horizontally - - can you please hurry im waiting to put the timing belt on

excuse me could you overcommunicate...aligning the cam - - it doesn't matter if it is 180 degrees off? just align horizontally and stick the alignment tool in?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
The pics are the first ones listed that you can see.The other ones just repeat themselves over and over so I did not relist them.I answered your question satisfactorily.If you do not want to accept my answer then contact the moderator and ask for a refund.I just put the pics there trying to help you out which was above and beyond what your original question was.Sorry took me so long to get back was tied up with mothers day.You never asked about the repair.Your question was is there valve damage from the belt breaking.I answered that question.Any other info I gave you was from me being nice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to KenZ's Post: I ask questions open ended - - your right about asking for damage.. but a good mechanic overcommunicates.. the clue was that the belt broke... the instructions that you provided do not address the fact that the cams could be aligned 180 degrees out... which seems to be an issue that the instructions do not cover... if they are expecting me to look an the firing order, turn the cams, etc...
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
I seem to remember that if the cams were 180 out that the tool would not fit in the slots
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
The tool won't fit if its off