Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

2003 ford escape: shift lever..park - stopped at neutral and is stuck

2003 ford escape - shift lever is in neutral and will no move to any gear. Was operating just fine. Went ot park and would not go into park - stopped at neutral and is stuck there. any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• Is this a floor shifter or column shifter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a coulmn shift. 2003 xlt

Will the shifter still pull towards you like it wants to move but wont?

I assume the key is still in the ignition turned on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Key in - engine running - brake depressed - lever locked up period. I removed the "shift lock" cover and depressed the plunger, then the lever goes all over the place but the tranny is still in neutral
Odds are you have to problems here. One with hte linkage and one with the shift ube. I recommend you pop the linkage off the transmission and have some one with the suv running hold there foot on the brake while you shift the trans manually to make sure it engage all gears. Now have them try to move the shifter and make sure the linkage is moveing at the trans. Now lay under the dash in the drivers floor board and make sure the linkage is connected to the shift tube and plate firmly. Now you will need to remov ethe steering column shrouds and possibly remove the steering column bolts and nuts to allow lowering of the steering column to inspect the shift tube abd bushings to check for signs of damage.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.