lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

Focus: sputter..the engine light went on,I..coming home..suddenly lost

Customer Question

My 2003 SVT Focus started to sputter and the engine light went on,I changed the oil and filter,changed the spark plugs.The immediate problem seemed to go away,until last night,coming home the car suddenly lost ~ 50% power and the sputtering started again along w/the engine light.Got home and looked in the manual and realized tht at 30k miles I should have changed the fuel filter.Did so today,but now the problem seems to hve gotten so bad that the sputtering seems to start as soon as I place the car in gear....NOT USED TO FEELING SO HELPLESS.....HELP!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.
did you have the code pulled for the check engine light?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not yet,dont hve a code reader for this vehicle.
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.
if you have an Auto Zone near by they will read the code for free, there are a couple of different driveability problems with the SVT, having the code will help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a fault code reader that I can buy that covers my car?
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.
YES, there are a few on the market depending how much money you want to spend, will get you different levels of diagnostic procedures, it needs to be OBDII compatible and be compatible for the CAN network, most of the auto parts stores and sears sells them. With out the codes I would be guessing.