gene
gene, ase master certified
Experience:  ase master certified 40 years in the repair industry

need to replace the pinion bearing on my 1995 ...

Customer Question

need to replace the pinion bearing on my 1995 f-150 4X4 on the rear axle. it is a 3:55 standard 8.8" axle. it is not limited slip. can you provide me with the steps to do this task? Im not clear on the crush collar replacement and final torque when done...
Category: Ford
Expert:  gene replied 6 years ago.

after you remove the axles(procedure to follow)-mark the carrier bearing caps so that you can put them back on in the same way that they came off-do not mix the bearing caps up-they must go back on the way they came off-after the caps are off remove the carrier assembly(ring gear and carrier) make sure you note what shims come off each side-remove the pinion gear nut-and washer(if equipped) usinf a pointed punch and hammer know the pinion gear out of the housing-drine the oul bearing out of the housing and drive the new race in.reinstall the pinioin gear(lube the new bearings and install new crush sleeve)tighten down the pinion nut-the nut is tighten until it has 25-30 inch punds of pull on it.in other words put a torque wrench(dail type) on the nut and pull-the wrench should read 25-30 inch pounds to set the preload on the pinion bearings

if you have any question just ask

hope this helps

gene

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 20

1. Block the front wheels, then loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheel that is being removed.

2. Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.

3. Remove the wheel, then remove the rear brake caliper and rotor.

4. If equipped, remove the anti-lock brake speed sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the rear axle assembly

1. Clean all dirt from the area of the axle housing cover. Drain the axle lubricant by removing the housing cover. For details, please refer to the Fluid and Lubricant information in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.

2. Remove the differential pinion shaft lockbolt and pinion shaft.

3. Push the flanged end of the axle shaft toward the center of the vehicle (to create the necessary play and free the C-lock), then remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft.

4. Slowly withdraw the axle shaft from the housing, being careful not to damage the oil seal (unless you are replacing it anyway).

5. If the seal is being replaced (or if you damaged it on the way out) insert a wheel bearing and seal replacement tool, such as T85L-1225-AH or equivalent, in the bore and position it behind the bearing so the tangs on the tool engage the bearing outer race. Remove the bearing and seal as a unit, using an impact slide hammer.

If only the seal is being replaced, use a seal removal tool to pry ONLY THE SEAL from the axle housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: To remove an axle shaft, first remove the housing's fill plug to ensure that it is not frozen in place ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: ... then clean all dirt and debris from the cover to prevent it from entering the differential

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove all but one or two upper mounting bolts from the axle housing cover ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... and remove any brake hose brackets from the cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Pry the cover away from the housing and allow the fluid to drain ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: ... then remove the cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Once the cover is removed, the differential unit (arrow) can be accessed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Remove the wheel, brake caliper and brake rotor from the rear axle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Loosen the pinion shaft lockbolt ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: ... and pull it out enough to clear the pinion shaft (arrow)

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Pull the pinion shaft out of the differential unit ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: ... then push the axle shaft in and remove the C-clip retainer

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Carefully pull the axle shaft out of the rear axle housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: It is a good idea to replace the axle shaft oil seal at this time-be careful not to damage the seal bore

To install:

1. If removed, lubricate the new bearing with rear axle lubricant. Install the bearing into the housing bore with a bearing installer.

2. If removed, install a new axle seal using a seal installer. Essentially, the installation tool is a driver of the right diameter; a smooth socket or piece of pipe can also be used as a driver, just be careful not to damage the seal.

Check for the presence of an axle shaft O-ring on the spline end of the shaft; install one if none is found.

1. Carefully slide the axle shaft STRAIGHT into the axle housing, without damaging the bearing or seal assembly. Start the splines into the side gear and push firmly until the shaft splines engage. It may be necessary to rotate the axle slightly to align the splines.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Use a properly-sized driver to install a new oil seal into the axle shaft housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: Be sure to tighten the pinion shaft lockbolt as indicated to prevent it from accidentally loosening ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: ... then cover the differential unit with a clean rag and clean the gasket mating surface with a scraper

1. Install the C-lock, then pull outward slightly on the axle shaft and make sure the C-lock seats in the counterbore of the differential side gear.

2. Insert the differential pinion shaft through the case and pinion gears, aligning the hole in the shaft with the lockbolt hole. Apply a suitable locking compound to the lockbolt and insert it through the case and pinion shaft. Tighten the lockbolt to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).

3. Cover the inside of the differential case with a shop rag and clean the machined surface of the carrier and cover. Remove the shop rag.

4. Carefully clean the gasket mating surfaces of the cover and axle housing of any remaining gasket or sealer. A putty knife is a good tool to use for this. You may want to cover the differential gears using a rag or piece of plastic to prevent contaminating them with dirt or pieces of the old gasket.

5. Install the rear cover using a new gasket and sealant. Tighten the retaining bolts using a crosswise pattern.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 19: Apply a bead of silicone sealer to the clean differential cover and install it on the axle housing ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 20: ... then fill the axle housing with the proper type and amount of lubricant

Make sure the vehicle is level before attempting to add fluid to the rear axle or an incorrect fluid level will result. You may have to lift all four corners of the vehicle and support it using 4 jackstands in order to do this.

1. Refill the rear axle housing using the proper grade and quantity of lubricant as detailed in General Information & Maintenance . Install the filler plug.

2. If removed, install the anti-lock speed sensor and tighten the retaining bolt to 40-60 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm).

3. Install the brake caliper and rotor.

4. Install the wheel, then remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.