lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

97 Ford explorer 4x4: remove the front differential

Could you explain to me how to remove the front differential from a 97 Ford explorer 4x4?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.

hope this helps.

Section 205-03: Axle and Differential, Front Drive1997 Explorer, Mountaineer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Axle Assembly - Front

Special Service Tool(s)
Axle Service Plugs Set
205-S358 (T95T-4850-A)
Steering Arm Remover
211-003 (T64P-3590-F)

Removal

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
  1. WARNING: REMOVE OR TAPE THE BRAKE PADS, TO PREVENT THEM FROM FALLING OUT OF THE CALIPER GUIDES.

CAUTION: Do not allow the calipers to hang by the hoses.

NOTE: Install a wheel nut to secure each brake disc in place.

Remove the bolts and position both calipers aside.
  1. Remove the cotter pins and nuts from both outer tie-rods.
  1. NOTE: Do not damage the tie-rod dust boots when installing the special tool. Remove the adapter from the ball end of the special tool. Apply a small amount of grease to the tie-rod stud and to the ball of the special tool.

Using the special tool, separate the tie-rod ends from the knuckles.
  1. Unclip the left and right wheel anti-lock sensor wiring harnesses from the locators on the vehicle chassis, located above the stabilizer bar brackets.
  1. WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW THE WHEEL KNUCKLE TO HANG FREELY. IT IS POSSIBLE TO OVEREXTEND AND INTERNALLY SEPARATE THE INNER CV JOINT. SEPARATE BOTH AXLE HALFSHAFTS FROM THE FRONT AXLE.

CAUTION: Take necessary precautions to protect the machined sealing surfaces on each axle.

Remove both pinch bolts and disconnect the upper ball joints. Pull the axle halfshafts away from the axle with the wheel knuckles.
  1. Raise the vehicle.
  1. Remove the lower engine splash shield, if equipped.
  1. WARNING: TAPE THE U-JOINT BEARING CAPS TO PREVENT THEM FROM FALLING OFF THE U-JOINT.

WARNING: INDEX-MARK THE FRONT AXLE PINION FLANGE TO THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT.

Remove and discard the bolts and straps. Secure the driveshaft out of the way.
  1. Disconnect the vent hose from the front axle housing.
  1. NOTE: Use the Axle Service Plugs Set T95T-4850-A to plug the axle openings.

Secure the axle housing to a suitable lift.
  1. Remove and discard the bolts.
  1. Lower the axle housing from the vehicle.

Installation

1. CAUTION: Install a new retainer circlip on the left inboard CV joint housing. If reinstalling the original axle housing, install a new retainer circlip on the right side.

CAUTION: Make sure the halfshaft circlips fully seat.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Fill the front axle with the correct type and quantity of lubricant.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.