Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Starter is located on 98 ford contour se and how to replace it.

Customer Question

I need to know where the starter is located on 98 ford contour se and how to replace it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee. I am a master certified tech in all driveline repairs including; Auto and Manual Trans, Transfer case, Steering, Brakes, Axle, Suspension, and Driveshafts. I am also certified in Gas and Diesel Engine repairs including Driveability as well as Electrical and HVAC.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I do my best to respond in a timely matter and I will respond anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include I accept in your text

• All I need to know is if you have a manual or auto trans and what engine size?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a auto trans and my engine size on my ford contour se is 2.5L OHC.

The starter is mounted on top of the transmission. It is bolted to the trans and is clower to the firewall than the radiator. It is buried and tough to access.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Is this all you needed
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: I dont know that much about replacing starters, so how much is reasonable for a mechanic to do this job. I need an estimate of parts and labor.
Your looking at 2.5 hours labor and a 170$ ford starter.