Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
4387830

How do I loosen the belt tensioner on a 2000 Ford ...

How do I loosen the belt tensioner on a 2000 Ford f-150 4x4 with the 5.4L. I need to loosen the belt to replace the alternator.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I have added the instructions below. Use a ratchet and insert it (3/8") in the end of the tensioner and rotate counter clock-wise. If you need further assistance let me know. Don't forget to Click Accept!

4.6L/5.4L Engines

To Remove:

1. Before servicing the vehicle refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
  2. Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise.
  3. Remove the drive belt.

To Install:

1. Install the drive belt.
  2. Rotate the tensioner clockwise.
Drive belt routing non-A/C

Drive belt routing A/C

5.4L SC Engine

To Remove:

2. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • The supercharger drive belt by rotating the tensioner clockwise
    • The fan blade and the fan shroud
    • The auxiliary supercharger crankshaft pulley
    • The accessory drive belt by rotating the tensioner clockwise

To Install:

Drive belt routing A/C

Super Charger drive belt routing

1. Install or connect the following:
    • The accessory drive
    • The fan blade and the fan shroud
    • The supercharger drive belt
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center