Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

i have a 94 ford ranger that had shut off while driving ...

Customer Question

i have a 94 ford ranger that had shut off while driving down the interstate this morning, and when i pulled over and tried to start it, it wouln''t start. nor would it start this evening when i brought it home?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Can you verify spark or fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve Sholar's Post: i don't know, couple days before it broke down, i ran it on empty, then when i brought it home, tried to use a little ether, and that didnt work.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
can you hear fuel pump turn on with key in run position? And it is still not empty right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what would that sound like, i am car iliterate, i really don't know too much about them. not there is a half tank of gas in it now. if i try and start it, it seems like it wants to start, but it just doesnt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does it sound like a little hum?
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Yeds it sounds like a hum inside of the tank you can hear it through the filler neck also.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i can hear it then
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could it be something with the electrical system?
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Yes it could be that or ignition problem. Try to bang on the fuel tank while trying t o start . Steve