Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition. It wont start. I ...

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition. It won''t start. I replaced the battery cable, the battery, and the starter. It still won''t start. I makes a clicking sound new the firewall on the passenger side. What could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee. I am a master certified tech in all driveline repairs including; Auto and Manual Trans, Transfer case, Steering, Brakes, Axle, Suspension, and Driveshafts. I am also certified in Gas and Diesel Engine repairs including Driveability as well as Electrical and HVAC. I also perform most of the noise vibration and harshness concerns but in person they are difficult and much more difficult on the internet.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I do my best to respond in a timely matter and I will respond anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include I accept in your text

This click noise is most likely coming from the starter relay. I suggest you turn the key to the run position and follow the red hot wire from the battery to the relay mounted on the firewall. Most likely there is a black trim piece covering it. You can use a screwdriver to cross the 2 big terminals. This will produce a spark and start the vehicle indicating a concern with a bad relay.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chris,
I replaced the starter relay switch. It still
does not start. I just hear a click. The starter was replaced a couple months away. The battery is only about 6 months old. I replaced the positive cable from the starter to the battery and to the starter relay switch. Any other ideas what it could be or what I should try.

Did you cross the 2 terminals on the relay with a screwdriver like I previously stated, if so did it crank then?

When it clicks can you tell what component or where the click comes from?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did cross the relay the terminals with a screwdriver. It did not crank, just sparked.
I am no sure what component it is coming from.
It sounds like it is coming from near the master
fuses.

When you cross the terminals on the relay you are bypassing all of the ignition and sending straight battery voltage to the starter. Since it sparked this indicates it is sending power.

You are going to need to get under the vehicle with a DC volt meter and check some stuff on the starter.

graphic