Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1991 Ford Explorer: the fuel pump relay..inertia..pump running

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer EB. The fuel pump is not working. I jumpered the fuel pump relay and have power through the inertia switch but do not hear the pump running. I have been trying to locate the route the wires run to the pump to determan if I have power goin to the pump. I see (on the wireing diagram ) that there is a connector some where under the hood but can''not find it. Any help would be appreaciated.

I have found the connector between the inertia switch and the fuel pump. There is power on both sides of the connector. Is there any way I can check to see if I am getting power at the pump without droping the fuel tamk??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

There is a connector for the fuel pump on the left side of the frame just on top in front of the wheel well that can be accessed for testing with out pulling the tank.. That being said its likely you have a bad fuel pump as this is very common on the 1991 Explorer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
While waiting for a reply, I have found that connector on the wheel well. What I think you are telling me is there is no other place to check for power execpt at the fuel pump, after droping the tank.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Once you have checked at the connector then yes there is only the fuel pump as the connector on the wheel well is the connector for the fuel pump.