Larry
Larry, Technical Editor
Experience:  Automotive tech editor & author, 30 years experience, ASE certified
4265081

F350 ran out of fuel. I need to know how to bleed the system of air.

My f350 ran out of fuel. I need to know how to bleed the system of air.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Larry replied 9 years ago.
If you bled the fuel filter, there will still be some air in the system.

ACTION
To purge the air drive the vehicle through at least 12 short, high-demand cycles, or until crank-time has improved (Example: 12 aggressive accelerations 25 MPH to 50 MPH (32 Km/h to 80 Km/h)).

Turn off the engine for 5 minutes following the drive cycle, then restart the engine.

If crank time remains above 2.5 seconds, perform normal hard start diagnostics per the PC/ED manual.

NOTE
A THREE TO FIVE (3-5) SECOND CRANK TIME MAY BE CONSIDERED NORMAL IN COLDER TEMPERATURES. NOTE IF THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT FOLLOWED, IT MAY TAKE MORE THAN 100 MILES OF NORMAL DRIVING TO REMOVE ALL OF THE TRAPPED AIR.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Larry Carley's Post: The truck will not start. It has run out of fuel. Where do I bleed the fuel lines
Expert:  Larry replied 9 years ago.
When you open the bleeder valve on the fuel filter, the fuel should flow through the line and saturate the filter.

Your vehicle is equipped with two fuel filters; one mounted on top of the
engine and the other, the HFCM, mounted inside the frame rail under
the driver-side floorboard near the transmission.

The round cap on the side of the filter is the bleed valve. Turn it counterclockwise to open it. Allow fuel to run into the filter until no more air comes out of the bleeder valve.
Then close the valve, and try to start the engine.

Te engine will self-purge the trapped air once it starts running. The engine may run roughly and produce white smoke while air is in the fuel system; this is normal and should stop after a short time

graphic