Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2002 ford taurus: vin..fuse for starter relay..light comes..CRANK

Customer Question

2002 ford taurus vin 1fafp53u72g209639 can remove fuse for starter relay and will start several times until the powertrain malfunction light comes onm then, NO CRANK
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on? When everything is hooked up normally it will not turn over? Does the THEFT light come on and stay on steady when the key is turned to on or does it flash rapidly?Do you have more than one ignition key?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: the check engine light does not come on nor the theft/security light other than the normal start uo sequence when the key is turned on.when it will not start i can pull the starter relay fuse just long enough to break the connection and replace it then it will start fine several times then it goes back to a no crank situation. the snapon scan tool shows no codes other than p-1000 i checked every system
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the only indicator that is on is the powertrain malfunction light (a gear with ! in it) thanks JOE
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
Have you run a Key On Engine off test as well as retrieve continuous codes? Step away from remvoing the fuse, start from scratch so I understand you properly. Put key in ignition nothing, no click no starter engagement wont turn over and THEFT lamp stays on and doesnt blink rapidly? Check engine light comes on when key is turned to on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
putting the key in and turning it the normal startup instrument lights come on and the go out, the only inst light that stays on is the "POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION" light. i have done the koeo test the only code p-1000.when turning the key to start there is no click no power drain just no crank. the battery is good and the starter is good. wiring from battery is clean and tight all connections look good. tried the wiggle test no change.i wonder what sets the   powertrain malfunction light because the check engine light is not on ? i also did the key on engine running test everything is within normal limits. thanks
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.

Cant see how you could have done a running test if it wont start???

How did you verify the starter is good, are you getting battery voltage to the large starter solenoid wire at all times and battery voltage to the smaller solenoid wire when cranking/turning the key to start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i start it by removing the starter relay fuse for one second and replacing it then it will start normally and will work several times after a short time off the powertrain malfunction light comes on then back to no crank. and yes to the battery voltage to the solenoid, no to the s wire when there is no crank when the powertrain malfunction light is on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
have you tried starting the vehicle in neutral with the sameresults to the S wire?Does the fuse block where the starter relay goes in look overheated or damaged?