Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  28 years as Tech.

1998 mustang: fuel pressure regulator..v6..fuel fuel rail

Customer Question

where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 1998 mustang v6 located? i just replaced the fuel pump and i still have no pressure in my fuel rail, what else could be wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.

The fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel rail on the engine. However, that is not your problem. The first thing that I want you to check is the power at the inertia switch. On your car it is in the trunk, behind a trim panel on the left rear. First make sure that the button is down. If it isn't there is your problem. If the button is down, using a test light, check to make sure that you have power at the switch, when the key is cycled from off to run (it will only be on for a few seconds, so you will need someone to cycle the key for you) If the test light does not light up then you probably have a bad relay or a blown fuse. The fuse is easy to check, it is labeled Fuel Pump and is located in the engine compartment fuse and relay box. If the fuse is okay then you have a bad CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) It is a box located in the passanger side fender well and it contains the relays for the fuel pump, engine computer, cooling fan and A/C compressor. I hope that it is not the problem, because it is not cheap and a pain in the butt to get to. I am placing my bets on the fuse.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Vincent's Post: i went to the back of the car by the inertia switch and pushed the button and it clicked down does that mean the switch is bad? i checked the fuse and its not blown, the whole problem started when the car was in my driveway and it just died, i restarted it and put it into reverse and it died and i havent been able to get it started since.
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.

Did you try to start the car after pressing the switch?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes i did and all it did was crank over
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what else could it be? i just replaced the fuel pump about 2 hours ago and it still wont start, i cranked it over a few times and then pressed the valve core on the fuel rail and i got maybe like a little psst but thats about it
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.
Did you replace the fuel filter at the same time? And can you hear the pump running when you cycle the key? And one more question, is there fuel in the tank?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no i did not replace the filter, and yes i could here the pump run while i cycled the key
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.

Change the fuel filter and make sure that there is fuel in the tank. If you can hear the pump running that means that it is working. That means that the CCRM is okay. (which is a good thing).

If all that pans out, then you may have a bad fuel pump. I am hoping that you put in a Ford pump? I have had problems with the aftermarket ones (Napa, etc) but it is running so lets try the filter before we head anywhere else.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i got my pump from autozone instead of ford because i didnt have 380 dollars for it, i'll try and change the fuel filter
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.

Yeah, I understand the pricing difference. But when you have to change it a couple of times the price kinda falls to the side. Get that filter changed out and let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
im changing the filter now, if that don't pan out is the relay the next to check?
Expert:  Vincent replied 8 years ago.

If you can hear the fuel pump running, then the relay is okay.

Next step is to make sure that you have fuel in the tank. It would not be the first time that a low tank caused a pump to burn out. The pump because it is in the tank, uses the fuel as a coolant. A low fuel tank, means the pump gets hot and eventually fails.

If you want to double check the relay, use the test light procedure that I outlined in the first answer, at the inertia switch. But since you can hear the pump, then the relay should be okay. (if the relay wasn't working, then the pump would not get any power and would not run)

I just thought of something, I have had aftermarket pumps wired up wrong and the pump ends up running, but turning the wrong way.