Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 1999 ford windstar that the drivers power window ...

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ford windstar that the drivers power window will not roll down. there is a relay-type click sound coming from under the dash when the button is pushed (does not click for the passenger or real fin windows and they open fine). I checked the voltage coming into the window motor, and there was no voltage with button pressed. What could be causing the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee. I am a master certified tech in all driveline repairs including; Auto and Manual Trans, Transfer case, Steering, Brakes, Axle, Suspension, and Driveshafts. I am also certified in Gas and Diesel Engine repairs including Driveability as well as Electrical and HVAC. I also perform most of the noise vibration and harshness concerns but in person they are difficult and much more difficult on the internet.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I do my best to respond in a timely matter and I will respond anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include I accept in your text

Sounds like you have narrowed this down to a faulty master window switch mounted in the drivers door. This will be especially the case since the switch still operates the other windows

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
master switch meaning the main switch control for the 4 windows, mirrors, and door locks? just want to understand that this would be the problem: that when you press the switch it activitaces a relay under the dash (giving the relay-type sound), makes me think that voltage is passing through the switch which is traveling to the relay under the dash, but not back to the window motor. Maybe my thinking on this is backwards - but please confirm again that the master switch would be the issue.

Just did a search for prices for that master switch and came across this link to the justanswers website:

Just wanted to be sure that this would be the issue and not the fem module that is described in the link.
The switch sends signals to the module which then returns them back to the window. The drivers window uses 3 inputs. Up-Down-One touch down (relay). The relay you are hearing is the one touch relay getting triggered but not the actual down power is makeing it to the window.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help! I was expecting to have to wait a day or two for a reply. My questions was answered in 6 minutes, and the reply to a follow up question in 3 minutes! Thanks again.
You were lucky. You caught me while online. Sometimes waiting is longer. Glad you appreciate us. I normally answer only in the evening.