Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford E150 van w/5.4L engine missing under load/while ...

Ford E150 van w/5.4L engine missing under load/while accelerating. Idles fine. Check engine light came on Error code said "lean bank 1 and bank 2". Has new plugs 1 week ago. Was running fine on long trip and started to miss after transmission kicked down to pass a car on hill.

HiCustomer/p>

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer

The common problem on the 2000 Ford E 150 that sets the lean codes 0171 and 0174 is ofter cause by a rotted elbow on the PCV line where it connects to the back of the upper intake. When this happens, it creates an unmetered air leak and this can cause a lean engine misfire. Remove the dog house (engine cover) and follow the PCV line around to it hooks on to the upper intake, I suspect you will find a large vacuum leak. Replace the elbow .

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Thanks but that is not the problem. The line and connectors are good. I am getting a fairly loud buzzing sound and vibration from the PCV. Could that be faulty and drawing too much air?
Yes this could also be an issue as the PCV valve shouldnt make any noise and when they buzz, this usual means there are bad as they are known to have a weak spring in them . I would change the PCV valve and reset the PCM (computer) by removing the positive battery cable for 10 minutes. Then drive the Van and see if this corrects your problem. If not let me know.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
That did it. New PCV. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have been looking for that for a long time. I also found that I had left the oil fill cap off halfway through this road trip so it was drawing even more air through there. I drove about 300 miles with the cap off and the bad PCV, could that have caused any engine damage running lean that long?