Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

How much does a tune up cost for a ford taurus My car is ...

How much does a tune up cost for a ford taurus? My car is making rattling noise and the emission system symbol lit up breifly and went back off. In your opinion what could this be or mean?

A tune up consist of replacing the spark plugs and the fuel filter and in some case depending on mileage and runs about 200.00. That being said you may not need a tune up. The light coming on means the PCM ( computer) as seen a systems fault. To determine the cause of this you will need to have the system scanned and this issue addressed first. In some case a missing cylinder will turn the light on.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How much does it cost for the system to be scanned? Does scanning the system mean finding any and all problems with my car? Every time I park the car the fan comes on and I hear mainly crackling and rattling sounds I also see the water leaking on the ground after I park.
The normal rate is 1 hour depending on the shop rate. Another choice you have is most part store will pull the code for you for free and then we may be able to help you figure out what the cause is and help you repair it your self.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do you pull the code? where would I get this information? and where is most part located?
The water leaking on the ground needs to be addressed ASAP , with out seeing where the coolant is leaking from it may be a water pump.. The code is pulled using a scan tool. Most part stores can do this for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What could the reason be behind this?
The water leak is likely eaither a water pump, or possiably just a hose or in some cases it could be the radiator. Have it looked at right away.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could this be related to the noises I hear?
Yes it could very well be related.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At a part store or a mechanic shop?
The parts store usually scan for free, the shop will charge you a fee and it usually an hours labor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok Thank You!
Your very welcome.