Thomas, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Ford engine , airconditioning, drivabillity and electrical specialist

2002 ford windstar: passenger side power window motor..LX

Customer Question

How do I replace the passenger side power window motor on my 2002 ford windstar LX
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 years ago.

Hello John Since the window is in the up position this makes removal of the moter easier. Follow the below steps and you should be okay if you need more help let me know.

Disconnect the window regulator motor electrical connector

• NOTE: Check the interior of the door to make sure the front window regulator wiring is not in line with the holes to be drilled into the door inner panel.

Using a 12.7 mm (0.5 in) drill bit, drill out the drill dimples.
  • graphic

WARNING: The window regulator motor has a counterbalanced spring. The window must be in the up position to remove the motor or blocked to prevent the window from suddenly raising. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.Remove the bolts and the window regulator motor.

To install, reverse the removal procedure

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    The answer was helpful because it led me to the solution of the real problem. After removing the bolts holding the motor, I still couldn't remove it. The window and the motor were all jammed tight. I took a rubber mallet and kept tapping the motor until it moved about 1/2". at that point, the window had dropped slightly which removed the strees on all the parts. I seemed to be able to move the mechanism now so I put the bolts back in and connected the power to it and it worked fine. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I think that the mechanism runs out of gear teeth just before it reaches the full top of the window which causes it to travel past the teeth into a full jam. I don't have the solution yet, but the problem I originally asked about was helpful.
    Expert:  Thomas replied 8 years ago.
    It sounds like what normally happens is that when the ,moter reaches full up position they sometimes stick. Tapping on the moter unlocked it so it works good now. But it could stop working in the future. At least now though you will know how to precede.