Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2004 F150 and my diagnostics code was p2198 which ...

I have a 2004 F150 and my diagnostics code was p2198 which I believe is a oxygen sensor stuck (too rich). My first question is how do I change this out, I have done it on my wifes car but not sure where to start on the truck? The other question is, is this a possible reason for the truck idling rough?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Hello vsw,

The code 2198 is not a bad HO2S, this code is set when you have a Variable cam timing issue. The code is normally set when the cam phase is out of sink, in most cases the timing chain and or phaser have an internal concern. This is ofter followed up with engine noise. Are you having engine noise and a rough idle?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: there is a knocking noise
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the code book said oxygen sensor, auto zone also said oxygen sensor. My code reader also oxygen sensor. Both of our code readers said it was the sensor and it said it was stuck open.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Ok this is likely your concern and the reason for the code 2198, the only way to know the fix is to tear the front timing cover off as there is something going on with you cam phasers. Well Im not Auto Zone and My Ford book says Cam Phasers. As I have also fixed about 5 trucks with this issue as this is also you knoise.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do you go about doing that?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

The cam phaser are the (shoes ) that keep the chain tight, when the wear out or go bad this allows the chain to slap and change cam timing (rough idle). Unless you are a seasoned professional I would not attempt this job.