Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1998 Ford Ranger: stop working..radiator..coolant, the fan works fine

Customer Question

What would cause my heater to stop working? The vehicle is a 1998 Ford Ranger. I checked the radiator and it is full of coolant, the fan works fine, but only colds air blows out. I worked fine Tuesday night, but didn''t work at all on Wednesday morning.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 years ago.
I need you to run the vehicle up to operating temp and while running grab both heater core hoses and tell me if they are hot?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Both hoses are hot.

Curiosity question... What is the cylidical object the heater hoses are connected to. It has an electrical wire attached to the top of it an a mechanical shaft coming out the side.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct. Be aware it is difficult to fix concerns associated with noises and smells over the net, but I will do my best. Diagrams are often copied from other websites. I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

That is a valve to shut the water off to the heater core so in the summer the heater core does not affect the colling capability. Sinces your hoses are hot then so is the heater core. You are most likely looking at a concern where as the blend door actuator has failed.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Where is the blend door actuator located?

The dash will have to come off to access the actuator

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank-you. Your input was great!
Your welcome