Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2001 ford escort: shift solenoid keeps locking..manually

2001 ford escort, shift solenoid keeps locking and needs to be manually released
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Are you referring to the solenoid which allows you to get out of park?

Do the brake lights illuminate when pressed?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Hi, yes I am talking about the shift solenoid that releases from park. I have to use a screwdriver to manually release at each start. The brake lights work fine.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct. Be aware it is difficult to fix concerns associated with noises and smells over the net, but I will do my best. Diagrams are often copied from other websites. I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

With your brake lights working theis means the brake signal is not makeing it to the shift lock actuator or the more common concern exists where the shift lock actuator mounted to the drivers side of the shifter under the console has failed.