RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Tech, L1 Adv Level, Ford Aftermarket Training, Ca Smog License.

2008 explorer eddie bauer: park..Car starts but locked..bypass..towed

Customer Question

2008 explorer eddie bauer with 250 miles, Key stuck in ignition and gearshift stuck in park. Car starts but locked up. The only solution I''m given is that there is no bypass and the car needs to be towed to the dealer. What type of problem could this be and what is the remedy?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

This truck has a defective Ignition Lock Cylinder, they will remove it and either have the tumblers repaired or an entire new cylinder installed, definitly should be under warranty unless somehow you physically damaged it, like sticking the incorrect key in there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They just called me and told me it is the starter actuator. Comments?
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Hmmm, it wouldn't make any sense unless they are refering to the Ignition Switch, which is right behind the Ignition Lock Cylinder. Could you possible ask them the area this part is installed? If it's in the steering column, than it is the Lock/Switch.