c-pete, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Technician

1999 ford f250: park position..I adjust the linkage

Customer Question

1999 ford f250 will not go into park most of the time. It also will not start sometimes from the park position. Can I adjust the linkage?
Category: Ford
Expert:  c-pete replied 8 years ago.
Before we spend too much time, I want you to check the shifter cable bracket on the back of the steering column. It attaches the cable to the steering column, There are two screws that hold it on, and it is common for them to come loose. See part # XXXXX below. After you are sure those two screws are tight,check to see if the shift lever bushings feel tight part# XXXXX
I need to know if you have super duty or a light duty F250, and I can give specific instructions on how to adjust the cable.

Also check the shifter cable (#28) and make sure that it properly clipped in to the bracket that holds the cable in place, some times they brake.

Check the connections at the trans too. If no problems are found the adjust the cable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How tight should I make the screws? It is a Super Duty F250. I think that the tightening of the screws may have done it.
Expert:  c-pete replied 8 years ago.

12 lb-ft is the torque spec for the bolts (not much, a little more then wrist tight).

You may want to adjust the cable too, but be carefull with the clip on the transmission.

Cable and Bracket Adjustment-5.4L, 6.8L, 7.3L Diesel With 4R100 Transmission

1. Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
    • Place a three pound weight on the gearshift lever.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever.

Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.

1. Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
  1. Move the manual control lever two detents to the (D) position.

Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab

1. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Remove the three pound weight.
  1. Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.

Regards, Chris