MikeB85
MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree

1996 ford f-250 ignition switch just spins without ...

Customer Question

1996 ford f-250 ignition switch just spins without turning anything on.ignition is stuck in on position.pulled ignition switch tumbler and found the male end of tumbler broken off in the steering column.will not turn off and cant get the piece out.what do i do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

I believe that you will have to replace the ignition lock cylinder. The new lock cylinder will come with a new key. Most of the time to replace these lock cylinders you have to drill out the center of them with a large drill bit. I have the procedure for removing the old lock cylinder and installing the new one. This requires removing the steering wheel and air bag. Let me know if you need the procedures for this as well. I hope this helps. Thanks.

graphic

MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MikeB85's Post: Thanks for the quick response.I have the ignition tumbler part out of column already,the problem is the male part of the tumbler assm. is stuck in the steering column and I cant get it out to replace the ignition tumbler.By the male part I mean the very back thin shaft part that actually turns in the slot.I cannot get it to turn back to off position to extract the shaft.Thanks for the help
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

There might be a retaining pin that is holding it in place that you have to drill out. I am sorry but I don't have any pictures for this so I am trying to just remember from previous installations.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Shouldnt the whole ignition tumbler(lock cylinder) if not broken, come out as one piece.No drilling out of retaining pins and the such.What makes the back shaft part of the ignition lock cylinder that goes into the slot able to turn back to release the broken off piece that I have,to release the shaft so that I can install the new lock cylinder?I've looked thru alot of repair manuals for any info on this none found.I'll accept the next response,hopefully you have some kind of insight on this.Thanks again,todd
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

I know you have the other part already seperated and out of the column but by looking at this picture does it look like this is what is holding the sleeve in?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already depressed retaining pin and removed the whole lock cylinder,the hole where the lock cylinder was, is now empty.The ignition is stuck in the on position because of the end piece of the ignition lock cylinder that looks similiar to an oars fat end that has broken off and sticking in steering column allowing the steering column and the shifter to be unlocked all the time.I need to know how to get the ignition to turn back w/o the cylinder in place,so I can therefore r+r the broken piece and install new ignition lock cylinder.Thanks again , Todd
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry. I just don't have enough photos or information to help you out. Let me refer you to another expert to get a more detailed answer. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Mike
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
You should be able to use the flat end of a screwdriver to turn the mechanical part back in the column.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tried that already will not turn to the off position.Thanks anyways.    Todd
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
That explains why your ignition broke then. The bad news is that you will have to disassemble the column to repair another broken part that is keeping it from rotating. You will have to remove the whole section of column that the ignition goes into to locate the broken piece in the column. When you replace your ignition switch I really recommend getting the lock cylinder / ignition kit from the dealer,it comes with everything to key the ignition to your original key and comes with good instructions and pictures.