POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER
6887356

How do you replace upper and lower ball joints on a E150 Ford van

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  POWERSTROKE replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Here is the procedure for that repair.

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-03.
  1. Remove the wheel speed sensor. For additional information, refer to Section 206-09.
  1. Remove and discard the cotter pin and nut.
  1. Using the special tool, disconnect the tie-rod end.
  1. Remove and discard the cotter pin and the nut.
  1. Remove the caster/camber insert pinch bolt.
  1. CAUTION: To prevent damage to the ball joint seal and the ball joint socket, do not use a pickle fork-type remover to loosen the ball joints.

Remove the front wheel spindle.
    1. Strike the lower end of the front axle to loosen the ball joint.
    1. Remove the front wheel spindle.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Check and, if necessary, align the front end. For additional information, refer to Section 204-00.

Removal of ball joint

1. Position the front wheel spindle in a vise, and remove the snap ring from the lower ball joint.
    1. CAUTION: To avoid damage to the components, do not use heat to aid ball joint removal.

Using the special tool and suitable receiver cup, remove the lower ball joint from the front wheel spindle.
    1. Using the special tool and suitable receiver cup, remove the upper ball joint.

Installation

1. CAUTION: To avoid damage to components, do not use heat to aid installation.

NOTE: Clean the wheel knuckle ball joint bores.

NOTE: The lower ball joint must be installed first.

Using the special tool with suitable receiver cups, install the lower ball joint.
    1. Using the special tool with suitable receiver cups, install the upper ball joint.
    1. Install the snap ring in the groove at the bottom of the ball joint.
    1. Install the front wheel spindle. For additional information, refer to Wheel Spindle in this section.