Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

1997 F-150, v-6, 4.2, 2wd, automatic. Transmission went out.

1997 F-150, v-6, 4.2, 2wd, automatic. Transmission went out. Called several salvage yards and all said that 97 f-150 only transmision that would work. Got one had it put in, shift linkage bracket and speed sensor were different (changed them) but transmission is a little longer making the drive shaft to long. Already paid to have it put in. Question is why is this transmission longer, they swear it''s out of another 97 f-150. They offered to pay to have the drive shaft shortend, will this work? If so how do I measure to tell them how much to cut off? Is transmission from another 97 really the only one that will work or will other years work?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

You should have a 4r70 trans which is the same in most all 150's. but also the same in the crown vic and town car and gran marqie and expedition and some explorers. Sounds like you got a trans which will work but not the exact part # XXXXX your truck. If all the wiring and sensors are nnow sound then yes you can shorten the shaft. Be aware though, if you shorten the shaft and have another trans failure, your shortened shaft may not work when you get the correct trans. You need to contact a driveshaft shop and see how they want you to measure it. Last time I got one I was instructed to measure from the rear pinion flange to the output shaft with the vehicle on the ground.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Is 4r70 and 4r70w the same thing? Is 97 the only year that will work? They say they have a 99 from an f-150 that is the same length so I don't have to shorten the drive shaft. Most salvage yards were adoment that it had to be from a 97. It will be cheaper at this point to shorten the shaft. They gave me an extra shaft so down the road if needed I would have and extra one.

Yes they are. Since they gave you the wrong trans it should be covered as far as the replacement.

In 97 they used this transmission.

graphic

They did not offer the 4.2 in 98. And in 99 and up the trans part # XXXXX so I cant say if there 99 is a direct fit replacement. I would match up the tag from tyour old trans to your new one.

graphic