Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2002 Ford F-450, 7.3 wont start. Cranks over well, ...

2002 Ford F-450, 7.3 won't start. Cranks over well, oil press good on Huey injectors, buzz test OK, cam sensor good, new glow plugs, fuel press 60 lbs.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.
Have you checked the high pressure oil reservoir to verify it is full of oil?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: yes oil resvoire is and remains full overnight

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

I suggest you check high pressure oil. Since the reservoir is full and you have fuel pressure. Then possible suspects are going to be a failed pump for the high pressure oil system or an oil leak in the high pressure system. The ICP pressure will tell if there is a high pressure concern.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Chris, with our snapon scanner shows 600-700lb while cranking , would a leaking o ring on an injector pervent starting   thanks John

Yes it can if a large majority of oil pressure is being lost.

have you verified the glow plugs are working correct?

Have you tried to start it after it has been plugged in a while. Have you tried to bleed the fule lines to see if there is air between the filter and injectors. Will it run off of ether.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Hey Moose. Here are the answers to the four questions you posed.
1)Glow plugs work fine.
Unit has no block heater.
Mechanic says there is no air in system.
Mechanic does not want to use ether.
If he does not want to use ether then mix ether with diesel fuel and put it in a squirt bottle and spray it in the breather box and try to start the vehicle. I am interested to see if it will start and run off the spray bottle. I also want to see if it will begine to run on its on once it gets some heat built up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK Moose. The vehicle did have a block heater. We warmed the block and engine started easily. Before we started it, we put in new glow plugs (from FORD). Wiring through valve cover to glow plugs is reading about 1 ohm. It cylce at least 50 seconds. Without block heater, vehicle doesn't start. We do see oil in the turbo.

Small amounts of oil in the turbo is fine. This is normally for a diesel with some miles.

So when the engine is cold the engine will not start even with the glow pugs being used. I need you to verify the glow plugs are actually getting energized. You can remove one and see if it heats up or you can take a voltage reading on a glow plug wire.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
After plugging truck in, it has started and unexplainably has started ever since. We appreciate your help, and will hit accept for you, after you get this reply. Thanks again.
I got the reply you can hit accept when you log back in.