Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

1988 ford f250 pickup: wher..I need a diagram of the wires

Customer Question

I need to put a silinoid on my 1988 ford f20 pickup and I can''t remember wher the wires go and I''m afraid I messed something up. I need a diagram of the wires. thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Check your wires:
All the ring wires go on the Battery side of the Relay (the side that connects to the Battery)
The Starter connects to the other side of the Relay.
The small push ons connect to the small posts on the front of the Relay.
graphic
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience: Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I need to know where the wires go to the silinoid that goes to the starter. it is on the firewall. I dont know where they go and I need a diagram. thanks
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

The picture is the Starter Solenoid/Relay??

What are you refering to?

Lurch, Ford Cert.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: I need the diagram of the wires from the starter and battery to the solenoid that is on the firewall not attached to the starter. Its an 1988 ford pickup f250. thank you It does have wires attached to the starter but it's different then what I you have sent me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need a diagram.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Althought the picture is not exactly like yours, the wiring is the same.
The Starter Solenoid/Relay has 2 large lugs on it.
One goes to the Starter Cable
One goes to the Positive Battery Cable & with that the wires that go to the ignition & accessories.

You should have a small Red / Blue wire that activates the Starter Solenoid/Relay when the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. This wire goes on the small lug:

graphic

Lurch, Ford Cert.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is some kind of miss understanding and I'm not happy with my answers. Just give me the silnoid picture with the wires.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Is this the part you are refering to?
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: Im done you dont get and you have my money I will reply on this on line.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

What are you talking about??

I am here to help & you are not supplying any Information for me to assist

Either you are refering to some other part that is not part of the Starting System or not seeing the diagrams I have supplied

Which is it??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we are getting close the last picture is the part I need to know what wires go to it.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Are you replacing the starter solenoid on the passenger side inner fender? I think that Lurch has sent you the proper info, but it looked a bit different than these models were actually equipped with. I just want to make sure that I am sending you the right info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: Yes I need to see a diagram of the wires. thank you
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok I do not have a diagram, but I have a picture from my personal truck. Here it is.

graphic

Ok, now if you look at the two larger cables, you will see one is a shiny silver. This it the cable that goes to the battery itself. Note all of the ring terminals on that side of the solenoid. The other dirty connector goes down to the starter. Als remeber to connect the red with blue strip wire to the top post on the solenoid. this is the wire that operates the solenoid. I know the picture may be large, but I wanted to make it big enough so that you could see the details. Feel free to contact us with any questions and we will get you fixed up as best as we can.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
why is there three gold boldts
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean the silver connection in between the two larger ones? This would be the one with no wires attached to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question does the battery cable the one on the right by itself
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
The battery cable connection at the starter solenoid is the clean color connection in the illustration that I sent to you. It should be connected with all of the ring terminals with the exception of the large lead that runs to the starter.