Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

I have a 99 f-350 v10 gas engine. It is knocking real loud ...

Customer Question

I have a 99 f-350 v10 gas engine. It is knocking real loud in the engine when idleing and accelerating . What could be the promblem and what would you rec. to fix the promblem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Does this sound like a low or upper end knock?

Does it sound harsh or like keys jingling kind of subtle?

How many miles?

Have you checked the oil and do you have good oil pressure while running and during startup?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like a upper end knock hitting the valve covers. It really has a hard knocking and when you push on the gas then sounds like keys jingling. It has good oil pressure and I even added additives to the oil to hopefully stop the knocking but didn't work and also check all vaccum hoses for leaks and found no leaks. The milage is 226,461. I hope you help me out on this and hopfully a easy fix.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee (which you selected). Please reply if further discussion is needed.

You may need to purchase a mechanics stethescope from auto zone 10$. this will help to pinpoint the area of origin. If it is found to be lower end which normally produces the knock noise then its time for a motor. If its found to be a tap or chatter in the upper end. Then possible issues with timing chain tension can be the cause. You will most likley need to rremove the valve cover and run it for a better look see and places to listen with the tool.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will push the accept button for you but would you tell me how would I be able to tighten or loosen the timing chain and if thats not the promblem would it be cheaper to change the valves, heads, ect. rather than getting a new engine. And would you let me know where to find a cheap engine. Thanks
You would be replaceing the chain and tensioners if found to be the concern. I do not recommend sinking money into new heads for your mileage. If you are going to replace any parts I would recommend a long block or ford reman or junkyard engine. www.car-parts.com /