Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

95 Ford Taurus: 130,000 miles, sputters and then dies..warning

Customer Question

My 95 Ford Taurus, 130,000 miles, sputters and then dies at stoplights, etc...I can''t start it up now without it dying unless I give it full gas. it just started happening today with no prior warning or problems. All started after a friend filled the tank with gas and added water. If you might have a clue as to whats going on, I would greatly appreciate it!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there!There is a possability you are having a problem with the IAC motor.Take it off and clean it with some carb cleaner.Clean the area where it sits as well.Sometimes the pintal gets stuck due to carbon buildup.Here is some info.Hope this helps!Thanks

The Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor, which is used in the CFI system, controls idle speed by moving the throttle lever. It regulates airflow to maintain the desired engine rpm for both warm and cold engine idles. An idle tracking switch, integral to the motor, is utilized to determine when the throttle lever has contacted it, thereby signalling the need to control engine rpm. The motor extends or retracts a linear shaft through a gear reduction system. The motor direction is determined by the polarity of the applied voltage.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: View of an Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor assembly

See Figure 2

1. Connect Breakout Box T83L-50EEC-IV, or equivalent, to the ECU wiring harness.

2. Use a jumper wire to connect the positive circuit of the ISC motor, test pin 21, to the positive battery terminal and connect another jumper wire between the negative circuit of the motor, test pin 41, to battery ground for 4 seconds.

3. Reverse the jumper wires, connecting the positive circuit of the ISC motor to battery ground and the negative circuit to battery positive for 4 seconds.

4. The ISC motor shaft should extend to greater than 2 in. (51mm) or retract to less than 1.75 in. (44.5mm) from the mounting bracket. If it does not, replace the ISC motor.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: The ISC motor shaft should extend to greater than 2 in. (51mm) or retract to less than 1.75 in. (44.5mm) from the mounting bracket

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Detach the electrical connector from the ISC motor.

3. Unfasten the ISC motor mounting screws and remove the ISC motor.

4. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! Will check it out!