RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Tech, L1 Adv Level, Ford Aftermarket Training, Ca Smog License.
1100518

"TirePressure Sensor Fault" on 2005 Ford Explorer.

Took my car to Sears to have a tire fixed on 2005 Explorer-technician said valve stem/sensor was leaking and Ford would have to replace stem/sensor. Had technician put spare on car and took tire to Ford and had repaired ($147). Then I had Sears put the tire back on and put spare back under car. Now "TirePressure Sensor Fault" comes on every time I start the car. Any ideas what I need to do?

Category: Ford
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.

Sears should be aware that these tire pressure monitor systems need to be reset when the sensors are serviced. You may need to take it to Ford for the reset, unless you can find a local repair shop that knows how to perform it. Below is a bulletin.

TSB 06-3-7

02/20/06

LOW TIRE INDICATOR ON - TPMS SYSTEM SENSOR WAKE UP

FORD:
2003-2006 Expedition, Explorer
2006 Escape Hybrid, Escape, Freestar

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Aviator
2003-2006 Navigator

MERCURY:
2003-2006 Mountaineer

2006 Mariner Hybrid, Mariner, Monterey

ISSUE
Vehicles built with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) sensors may experience a concern where the TPMS indicator is on solid and the message center (if equipped) displays "Low Tire Pressure". This may be due to the actual tire pressure being low due to time or temperature changes (10°= 1 psi). Adjusting the tire pressure to specification should turn out the warning light once the sensors have been awakened.

ACTION
If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors with the training tool to force them to transmit the latest air pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB), or responsible module. This can be done by either driving the vehicle for 2 minutes above 20 MPH (32 Km/h) or by using the training tool. The sensors do not continuously transmit when the vehicle is not moving.

NOTE ADJUSTING THE TIRE PRESSURE IS NOT A WARRANTABLE ITEM.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.

Inflate all tires to the correct air pressure.

2.

Place the ignition in the RUN position.

3.

Use special service tool 204-324 for valve-mounted TPMS sensors or 204-363 for wheel mounted sensors.

4.

Place the magnet on each sensor for approx. 5 seconds or ping each sensor at least twice after adding air to ensure the module has the latest air pressure data.

5.

If the TPMS indicator does not go off after filling the tires to the correct air pressure and pinging each sensor then refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual symptom chart.

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Certified Master Tech, L1 Adv Level, Ford Aftermarket Training, Ca Smog License.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any idea about what the cost would be for Ford to correct the problem?

Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

They usually charge about 1.0 hours to reset the sensor, which is equivalent to $100.