Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

89 f-250: 4X4..spark plugs..the head, belts to the pulleys, hoses

Customer Question

I have a 89 f-250 with a 300 cubic inch I-6 cylinder engine 5-speed 4X4. When the truck is up to operation tempature and is restarted it will look like a spark show from the spark plugs to the head, belts to the pulleys, hoses to the clamps.The sparks are bright blue and increase and decrease with the RPMS.It runs poorly at this time. I have replaced all plugs, plug wires cap, button, module, distributor, coil,and the intire fuel injection system. now has a carb and point type distributor. The truck still has the same problem with out the computer. I have also ran a jumper wire from the battery to the coil. This problem is persistiant. and makes the truck waste fuel and have very little power. What could the problem be? thanks for your time, Charlton
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Hello Charlton,

So if Im reading your question right , your saying that you have sparks flying all over the place? Is it dist spark?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Yes - bright blue
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Even on the hoses and clamps?

Is it ignition spark voltage?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Yes it will bite you just like a coil will. They are more like flowing that flying. They increase in intencity with the rpms. If I let the unit cool down, aprox. 25 min,I dont have this issue but upon a warm restart the truck will resume its light show. I am also an ASE certified Tech and am stumped.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Have you made sure you have a good ground from battery to engine to frame?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Ron I have replaced the Grounds and even added a couple just to make sure.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
If it bites like spark from the ignition then it has to be voltage leaking from eaither the coil or the distributor. I have to admit Ive never ran into something like this. Have you replaced the coil?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes I have replaced the coil,the entire ignition system has been replaced.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
There has to be a source of where the spark is coming from. Try when its running good and not throwing spark all over using a spray bottle with water in it and spray the engine area and this may help in finding the source of the voltage leak. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is a good Idea, I found that the Alt. was acting as a generator. Replaced tha Alt. runs perfect. who wouldve thought.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Yes this was a strange one. Im glad you got it.