Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2005 Ford Taurus Misfire Problem - P0300 trouble code found

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus SEL SOHC 3.0L FFV with 43,000 miles and a couple months after purchasing it, the check engine light would come on intermittently. I ignored it as it would happen so infrequent, I figured it was a loose gas cap, etc. In December the light started coming on more frequently so I took it in for a diagnostic check. I was told that it was in need of a tune up. I replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs and ignition wires. After getting the tune up, the light went a away for about a day then lit back up and stayed on. I also noticed that the car had a severe loss of power when accelerating and was rough when idling. I took it back in for another diagnostic and was told that it was a bad PCV valve. Can this cause this type of behavior? The only engine code that was found on the OBD was P0300-random/multiple cylinder misfire.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

An EGR or PCV or many other concerns can cause random misfires. Here is the ford statement on this code.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: So based on the ford statement, these are the only reasons why the code will come up?
No, it can come on for many reasons but these are the most likely
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I check if it's the EGR Valve or Camshaft position sensor?
The cam sensor must be checked with a scan tool. The Egr valve can be removed and inxpested and the EGR ports cleaned and then reinstall and apply vacuum to the EGR valve and see if it stalls the engine at idle when vacuum is applied.
Were the checks I mentioned performed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: a full diagnostic was done and the technician did a power balance test, reprogrammed the pcm processor and reset the keep alive memory. He determined that I didn't need any new parts. The car is running sharp now, no light on as of yet, it's been 2 days.
Since I have already addressed your question on the P0300 code and causes are you seeking more info. You need to accept for the question to be closed.