Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Intermittant Transmission Leak

I have a 2003 Taurus with 104K miles. The Transmission will leak and leave a good size puddle after the vehicle has been parked over night. This does not happen all the time. I refill the trans to the correct level and may go a couple of weeks before this happens again. I put the car up on jack stands and inspected the trans. No sign of where the leak is coming from although It appears it may be puking fluid up out of the dipstick tube. A friend of mine has a 2000 model which does the same thing intermittently. His was checked out by a mechanic who could not find a problem. My vehicle has been well maintained over the years. No transmission shifting problems fluid changed regularly. This is my 5th different taurus. First one to have this problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

There is a TSB addressing this issue. Basically, the transmission vent isn't venting properly, allowing fluid to build up a bit of pressure, and push out through thte filler tube grommet. You'll need to purchase part #1C3Z-7034-AA from your local Ford dealer.

Here is the TSB, Good luck!

TSB 06-18-13

09/18/06
ERRATIC FLUID LEVEL READING ON TRANSAXLE
DIPSTICK - LEAKS - 4F50N, AX4N, AX4S

FORD:
2000-2007 Taurus
2000-2007 Windstar
2004-2007 Freestar

MERCURY:
2000-2005 Sable
2004-2007 Monterey

This article supersedes TSB 05-14-5 to update the Service Procedure and vehicle model years.
ISSUE
Some 2000-2007 Taurus, 2000-2005 Sable, 2000-2003 Windstar, and 2004-2007 Freestar/Monterey vehicles, equipped with a 4F50N, AX4N, or AX4S transaxle, may exhibit an erratic fluid level reading on the transaxle dipstick and possible leaks around the filler tube and grommet. The condition may be due to a restricted transaxle vent.

ACTION
Repair the transaxle vent restriction by replacing the transaxle vent with a 90°vent stem, small hose clamp, two (2) tie raps, and 24" (61 cm) of 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose. The 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose will be routed from the 90°vent on the transaxle back to the cowl area, next to the brake master cylinder and tie rapped in place with the end of the hose facing down. Refer to the following Service Procedures.

NOTE LEAKS MAY BE MISDIAGNOSED AS COMING FROM THE PAN GASKET. ALWAYS FOLLOW WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 307-01 TO LOCATE THE SOURCE OF A LEAK, AND LEAK CHECK WITH BLACK LIGHT AND DYE.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the mass air flow (MAF) sensor electrical connector.

2. Disconnect the crankcase vent tube(s) from the air cleaner outlet pipe.

3. Loosen the clamp and disconnect the air cleaner outlet pipe from the throttle body.

4. Release the air cleaner housing clamp(s).

5. Separate the air cleaner cover from the air cleaner tray.

6. Windstar, Freestar and Monterey only: Remove cowl panel grille by following the procedure in TSB 06-14-10.

7. Disconnect the shift cable if located over the top of the vent.

8. Remove the vent, pull straight up on the vent with locking pliers, or carefully pry the vent from the transaxle case.

9. Install the replacement 90°vent stem.
graphic

^ Windstar, Freestar, Monterey, Taurus, and Sable with column shifter - Must face to the right rear of the vehicle with the flat edge of vent base parallel to the chain cover boss (Figure 1)

graphic

^ Taurus and Sable with floor shifter - Must face to the rear of the vehicle with the flat edge of vent base parallel to the chain cover boss (Figure 2)

10. Install one end of a 24" (61 cm) long piece of 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose to the 90°vent stem and secure with a small hose clamp.

11. Route the vacuum hose back and up to the cowl area and down next to the brake master cylinder. Carefully tie rap the hose in place next to the brake master cylinder (do not tie rap to brake lines), be sure the end of the hose is facing down and not directly above anything hot.

graphic
Taurus and Sable with column shifter (Figure 6)

graphic
^ Taurus with floor shifter (Figure 7)

12. Connect the shift cable, if removed.

13. Install the air cleaner cover and outlet pipe.

NOTE USE THE ALIGNMENT NOTCHES TO CORRECTLY ALIGN THE AIR CLEANER COVER TO THE AIR CLEANER TRAY.

14. Install the air cleaner housing clamp(s).

15. Connect the air cleaner outlet pipe to the throttle body and tighten to 35 lb-in (4 N.m).

16. Connect the crankcase vent tube to the air cleaner outlet pipe.

17. Connect the MAF sensor electrical connector.

18. Windstar, Freestar, and Monterey only, follow TSB 06-14-10 to seal and install the cowl panel grille.
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician