Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2000 f350 7.3 powerstroke surges up and down at idle

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,

The likely cause of your F 350 having an idlegraphic surge is due to eaither a bad Injector pressure Regulator or a bad Injector control pressure sensor. See attachment for testing. In most cases it is a bad Injector pressure regulator (the orings come apart)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this probblem started after a bad turbo was changed. few weeks later the customer complained about the surge.it is a food truck so he is stop and go all day and its only once and a while that the truck wants to stall. i have changed many sensors on other trucks but the put on a code.this one has no codes
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Did you try unplugging the ICP and see if it runs better.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i have not but when the truck gets here for lunch break i run uot and un plug it .he can finish the day and let me know if it still surges at an idle
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry i have not got back to you but i just got the truck into my shop.i did unplug the sensor and it made the truck run worse.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Run a code scan and tell me what codes your getting.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i will do that .also thank for the help with the windstar.the customer told me she had the van at a number of shops and no one has fixed it.she called me last night very happy with the van and said its never run so good.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Glad to hear it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i pulled some codes but im sure i set one when i unpluged the sensor. there in order p1280 1140 1211
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Theese code deal with Injector pressure regulator. an you clear then and see if we can get it to reset again so we are on the right track.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is also complaining that the truck has less power since we changed the turbo.we changed it because the bairing was gone and leaking oil.the truck ran fine
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It could very well be a bad turbo, clear the codes and see what resets. But before you do this unhook the battery positive cables (both) for about 10 mins and then drive it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what kind of boost should i see out of the turbo.just sitting idle the tach
is up and down about 200 rpm and it almost sounds like its starts missing. i sent my tech out to drive it to see if any codes come back.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Boost is about 10 12 lbs. Let me know what you come up with when he gets back.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he just got back i checked for codes and got nothing.he said he can here the turbo winding up but the truck doesnt feel like it starts pulling.could the turbo cause it to idle up and down like that.and there is no leaks.could the waist gate be stuck open or set wrong
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Yes I would have a look at the waste gate.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Here is something to checkgraphic
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Have a look at thisgraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i have put a few miles on and no codes came back.Itook the red line off at the turbo and brove it hard. i got max 6 psi boost untill i let off the throttle. then the boost shot up to 15 psi for just a second.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
This sounds like you have a waste gate control issue .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
with the line off should get full boost.the new turbo was installed on the old pedestil.could the gate be open and would this cause it to stumble at idle
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The gate could be open or sticking and yes this could cause a stumble.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the exhaust back pressure door seams to be sticking closed
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
This could cause the problem as well and it is a known issue as well.If it has excessive back pressure it will not allow boost.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry about the delay getting back to you.it was a crazy week aound here. any way i got the truck back and i pulled more codes. p1211 and p107.i was also wondering is the exhaust back pressure rod sopost to move all the time or just stay open or closed
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Just open or closed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so it should stay all the way open when its warm.cause the one on the gate moves in and out when you rev it up it seams to stay pulled in all the time
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes I think it should stay open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i i hold the exhaust closed and the engine does not sound like the exhaust is being blocked off.could there be another way the exhaust is escaping like through the waist gate.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Not that I am aware of, Im not real clear on what it is your doing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is the truck i put the new turbo on and im only getting 6 psi boost with the pedal to the floor. once i let up the gauge spikes to 15 psi for a second then back to zero.its not making good power. thats with the waist gate unpluged and my gauge pluged into that line .it should give me max boost.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it should give you max boost. It sounds like you have a waste gate concern.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no im lucky to see 6 psi.im almost ready to pull the turbo off.im worried theres a problem and its going to eat up the new turbo.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Did all this start after you installed this turbo?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i changed the turbo cause you could hear the bearing grinding.and leaking lots of oil.when i rev the engine the boost gauge fludders.even the exhaust is not black when you peg the throttle.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Well its hard to tell from hear but it sounds like something is holding.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi ron im here to bug you still. im still working on the turdo problem i was having.i have replaced the boost sensor and the icp.checked fuel pressure it at 60 to 75 psi at all times.the truck has more power but im still only getting 5 psi with the gate unpluged.i put pressure to the waist gate and it seams to be working fine.could the ecm be cutting fuel on me.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
I would think if it cutting fuel you would have other problems. Are you sure the turbo is good?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats the problem i called the place that built the turbo and he tells me nothing is wrong with his parts and it must be the truck.lol in the mean time i got the customer all over me.i put a power tuner on it and set it to race so it would over fuel.got more power but still i only see 5 psi and no black smoke from exhaust at w. o. t.im ready to pull the turbo to inspect the waist gate on the bench.could the gate get pushed open.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It could be leaking if your only getting 5 lbs of boost. The only way to know is have a look.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats my next step.i still have the surge at idle even after replaceing the icp.the oil one was leakin oil out the plug.ok off comes the turbo!thanks for taking all this time helping me its driving me crazy.i even closed my shop today so i could just fix this truck with no one bugging me.ill let you know what i find. thanks again !
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome and good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
turbo is off and waist gate looks good. i think ther is a leak on the exhaust inlet.the pin is all lined up and i can see exhaust leak inside the pipe were it mates to the turbo.that would bypass the waist gate cause its seperated in the manifold.its not sealing good inside the pipe
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it would cause a leak and it dosnt take much.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs