Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1998 Ford windstar: Problem is no horn no cruise control

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford windstar. Problem is no horn no cruise control. Another expert helped me with trouble shooting. This is what I have so far checked fuse (good),replaced horn relay still no luck. I can hear relay click when I pressed horn. My first thought it cant be the clockspring because I can hear relay click. However I dropped relay box down tested dk/blue wire when horn is pressed no voltage. The way the relay is hooked up is yell/lt blue going to pins 85 and 30. Hot at all times. when i hook up volt meter to pin 86 and press horn voltage changes very little no where nere 12 v to activate coil inside. So I just want to confirm my findings leading back to the clockspring not putting enough volts out. What would you beleive it is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
..HELLO!
The clockspring sends a ground signal to the relay thus the click. Test for voltage at the Y/LB wire..if good then jumper it to the DB and the horn will sound if functional. If you don't have volts you will have to check the fuse. Once we get that going we can tackle the speed control.
Steve
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok I have power at y/lb wire. I jumped pin 85 on relay (y/lb) to pin 87 (DB) horn works. Just not working with relay in and horn pressed. I have to go to work now I will be back in afternoon.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
..HELLO!
Ron was the expert you were working with and should be given the credit. He is offline right now but should be back when you get home from work. I'm just helping out here for him. He will explain how to disconnect the Deact switch and jumper/replace it as needed. Now get to work so that you can pay for this.
Steve