Thomas, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Ford engine , airconditioning, drivabillity and electrical specialist

how to disable the anti-theft on 1999 explorer

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Close the hood and all doors. Wait 5 minutes. Use the key to unlock the passenger door lock whether it's locked or not. Insert the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position. Does the theft light blink rapidly? RSVP
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, the light is flashing rapidly.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes the light is flashing rapidly.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Remove and inspect fuses 19 and 25 at the interior fuse panel. If you have a spare key that is programmed then try it. Remove the key from the keyring and try it. If your battery is low then charge or jumper it.
You can't bypass the anti-theft system. The fuel pump will run for approximately 2 seconds when the key is turned from OFF to RUN and then shut off. If the above steps don't fix the concern then you have a damaged key or a faulty anti-theft transceiver module. Either one will require a tow to a Ford dealer for repair and most likely two new keys made and programmed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
steve, my question was how to disable the anti-theft.
your answer is "you can't" and take it to the dealer....i am sorry, but i cannot accept the answer as it does not help me any...
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Did you try the suggested steps? I can't tell you how to bypass the anti-theft system because you can't. If it was able to be bypassed then it wouldn't be much of an anti-theft system. I've worked with this system for many years and know it. I'm sorry that it wasn't the answer you wanted but that is the only one. Do the suggested steps first and then believe me.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
steve,first i want to thankyou for your well intentioned help. i did as you asked. i tried the fuses and they are good. i tried removing the key from the key chain (as i thought that you were reffering to there being a magnetic interference or so) but that was to no avail. i do believe and trust you, but i would have liked to have solved the problem. again, thankyou and i am sorry.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 years ago.
hello Sir I am sorry to tell you but there is nothing you can do to reset or bypass the anti theft system. you will need a ford scan tool to access the pats system to find out what the fault is. Only a ford dealer can help you. No one will be able to solve this problem except a Ford dealer. No parts you replace will help you because you will still need the ford scan tool to enter the security system. Now if you want to go out and purchase an Eight thousand dollar tool and than somehow get the software to use it. I will love to help you . But its impossible to bypass. thats why its called anti theft.