Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
4387830

Mercury Grand Marquis: fuel pump..the electric connector removed

I have a ''98 Mercury Grand Marquis that I am attempting to replace the fuel pump on. From underneath the car, I have been able to expose the pump, I am having trouble getting the electric connector removed. Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

If you are refering to the connector in the example below. This type of connector requires you to pinch and pull. Some connectors require you to lift a small portion of it caled the "center tab" and then pull. I have add the complete procedure below for reference.

Fig. 1: The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. On some models it can be viewed from the side as shown here

Electric Fuel Pump

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

CAUTION
Fuel injection systems remain under pressure, even after the engine has been turned OFF. The fuel system pressure must be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.

1. If equipped with air suspension, the air suspension switch, located on the right-hand side of the luggage compartment, must be turned to the OFF position before raising the vehicle.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Relieve fuel system pressure using the recommended procedure.
  4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle and place on a suitable work bench.
  6. Remove any dirt that has accumulated around the fuel pump retaining flange so it will not enter the tank during pump removal and installation.
  7. On 1989-94 models, turn the fuel pump locking ring counterclockwise and remove the locking ring.
  8. On 1995-98 models, remove 6 retaining bolts around the perimeter of the fuel pump module.
  9. Remove the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Remove and discard the seal ring.

To install:

10. Clean the fuel pump mounting flange, fuel tank mounting surface and seal ring groove.
  11. Apply a light coating of grease on a new seal ring to hold it in place during assembly and install in the seal ring groove.
  12. Install the fuel pump/sending unit assembly carefully to ensure the filter is not damaged. Make sure the locating keys are in the keyways and the seal ring remains in the groove.
  13. Hold the pump assembly in place and install the locking ring finger-tight. Make sure all the locking tabs are under the tank lock ring tabs.
  14. Rotate the locking ring clockwise until the ring is against the stops.
  15. Install the fuel tank into the vehicle.
  16. Lower the vehicle.
  17. If equipped with air suspension, turn the air suspension switch to the ON position.
  18. Add a minimum of 10 gallons of fuel to the tank and check for leaks.
  19. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  20. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position several times to pressurize the fuel system. Check for fuel leaks and correct as necessary.
  21. Start the engine and check for leaks.
  22. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.

Fig. 2: Electric fuel pump removal

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In order to remove the fuel tank or the pump, I need to have the wiring harness off of the car. It is not a pinch and pull style plug. The harness comes from above the tank, along with another harness that has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Then the fuel pump wires go into the tank through what looks like a pinch and pull connector, (turns out that is not a connector at all) and all of the six wires go to different areas inside of the tank
All the wires that go into the tank should have a connector that connect to the top of the sending unit. The sending unit is held in by a circular ring that has to be removed in order to lift/remove it from the tank and replace the pump.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center