Larry
Larry, Technical Editor
Experience:  Automotive tech editor & author, 30 years experience, ASE certified

i have a 2004 c230 kompressor that needs front brake ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a 2004 c230 kompressor that needs front brake pads. i know how to get brake cylendars off but not sure how to take old pads out. do i have to take the cylendar apart.
Expert:  Larry replied 6 years ago.
Your replace the pads, all you have to do is remove the two bolts (31c in the illustration below) that attach the caliper to the support bracket over the rotor. No need to disconnect the brake hose to the caliper. Just pull the caliper off the rotor after the bolts have been removed, turn it over and pop out the pads with a screwdriver.

Use a c-clamp to push the caliper piston back flush into the caliper so the new pads can be installed in the caliper. The pads are a simple snap fit.

graphic
Larry, Technical Editor
Experience: Automotive tech editor & author, 30 years experience, ASE certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Larry Carley's Post: larry, i appreciate youranswer but the picture you show looks like a single cyl. on each side and my calipers show two cyl. on each side and two pins thru the pads. on the outside of the cyl. there are to hex head bolts that holds the cyl. to the calipers.
Expert:  Larry replied 6 years ago.
Your must have the optional sport package brakes on your car:

On these the removal is different. Here's what the Mercedes service literature says:

First, you do not have to remove the calipers from the rotors.

Using a suitable punch, hammer out retaining pins (41), remove lining retainer plates (31d)

NOTE: Installation: Using a suitable punch, hammer in the retaining pins (41) as far as the stop. Pay attention to correct seating of lining retainer plates (31d).

7 Pull brake pads (43) out of fixed brake claiper
graphic
graphic