FORDFXR
FORDFXR, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  FORD MASTER TECHNICIAN ALBERTA JOURNEYMAN INTERPROVICIAL STANDARD

I would like to bypass my 2000 F150 Passive security system.

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using a frame, engine, speedometer, & trans from a roll over to build a 48 hot rod pickup. It was running but I must have cut into the security system and the thief light flashes now.I only have one key.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Building a hot rod using exisiting wiring harness on a 2000 F150 5.4L. I need to bypass the PATS so I can start the engine without the security system.
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

here is some info from the ford manual===

The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. The instrument cluster communicates with the PCM over the SCP network in order to enable engine operation. The instrument cluster and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The instrument cluster and the PCM share security data (when first installed together) that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The instrument cluster also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either a new instrument cluster or PCM needs to be installed.

All elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

===

as you can see the "PATS" is buit in fairly deep, i do not know anyone who has effectivly bypassed "PATS" except for remote starts, however, this still requires a spare key and a little bit of hardware

let me know if this helped and f you need any more info

please send feedbake so we can better serve you

Louis

FORDFXR, Ford Mechanic
Experience: FORD MASTER TECHNICIAN ALBERTA JOURNEYMAN INTERPROVICIAL STANDARD
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answer but I still can't start the engine because I have only one key. I had traced the wires back to the speedometer and they are intact. I have a remote start but with only one key it won't work. Is ther any more options?
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

is the key one that was working in the truck you got the engine from?

have you installed the keypad switch?

do you have access to a scanner?

is the instrument cluster working and is it from the same truck as you have the keys from?

graphic

ok , i am not sure if we can make this work but we can give it a try

at the 'PATS' transceiver module, check the rd/lg wire for power in start and run,

check the bk/lb wire for ground,

i recommend that when you do this you load the circuit with a light- a volt meter may lead you astray by showing battery voltage on a circuit which will not carry enough current to do the job!

graphic

graphic

at the 'RAP' module, check for power to the bk/pk wire and the og/lg wire

check for ground at the bk/lb wire

check the rd/lg wire for battery voltage when the brake pedal is applied

let me know if this helped and if you need more info

please send feedback so we can serve you better

Louis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have power at thhe transciever. The transciever is a new one that wasn't in the truck when it was running. The key and the instrument cluster are from the original truck & were O.K. I don't have a scanner & I haven't been able to locate the RAP module. I might have cut one of the wires but without knowwing which iss the RAP module I can't trace the wires. I do have the Chilton book with some diagrams. I have 3 modules & if I can't get it to run this way maybe I could jumper out the RAP module and get it to run. Thank you for your help so far & I will accept even if you don't hae any more answers.
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

i am going to send you some reading so you can understand a little more about how the system works,

graphic

graphic

graphic

Louis

Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

graphic

above is a pic of the pats transciever location, below is part of the instructions to remove it, hope these make it a little easier to figure out which is which

graphic

below shows where the rap module would be in the original truck

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help. It still won't start so it looks like I will have to trouble shoot the PATS and find out where the problem is.
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

did you get a chance to read the post about with the description of the system? did this make the system operation any clearer to you?

please send feedback so we can serve you better,positive feedback is always appreciated

Louis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did read the info you sent me & I see where bypassing the system isn't possible. I think my problem is in the transceiver module. I bought the new one and installed it and I noticed it was hot to the touch. I don't know if there is a wayto test it or not. I don't haave a Ford dealer near. If it is bad I need to find one online. Again thank you for all yor help.
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

graphic

do you have access to a scanner, to pull codes?

Louis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dodn't have access to a scanner. I think my problem is in the key or the transceiver like I said before the transceiver got hot to the touch when I installed it. Could the key go bad?
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 6 years ago.

hi

the key could be bad, i have also seen them work for years then give up

the transceiver sends out a signal when it is working, so being warm may be normal

Louis