Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651

1985 ford econoline: van..brake lights..new bulbs, no bad fuses?

Customer Question

I have a 1985 ford econoline van, no brake lights. new bulbs, no bad fuses? what do I do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

Most likely you have a bad stoplight switch. This switch is mounted at the top of the brake pedal assembly.

You can unplug it and short the two wires together using a jumper wire or paperclip (be very careful not to touch it to anything metal, as it can shock you and blow the fuse).. and if the brake lights come on, then you know the switch is bad.

Good luck!
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no that does not work.
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
Do you have access to a volt meter or a 12v test light?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I dont.
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
OK.. assuming the fuse is good, you've got an open circuit in the wiring between the fuse and the brake light switch, or between the brake light switch and the lights.

You'll need a voltmeter or test light to test each point for power in order to determine what component of this system has failed. You might also have a bad connection at the connector for the turn signal switch, or a bad turn signal switch itself.

Here is a wiring diagram that may help you out. Good luck!

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Brad's Post: where is the fuse block for the horn and brakelights? All the fuses in the panel are good and none are marked brakelight.
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
It's fuse #8 in the fuse block
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Brad, sorry about getting back late, had to find a tester. Could not find a # XXXXX fuse, how are they numbered? but now have found one fuse that is shorted out, I think aux, and two not going thru, 12 volts one side but nothing on the other, but they are small fuses. non of them say brake. Larry
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
I did some research and was able to dig up an illustration of your fuse panel. This same fuse also powers up your horn, cruise control, and hazard lights so it might be labeled as any of that.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thats the one shorting out, Thanks, Larry