Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

how does the rear axle on a 93 ford bronco come ...

how does the rear axle on a 93 ford bronco come out? with clips at Diff or remove brake backing plate???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Your bronco has should have an 8.8 rear axle assembly. Your axle is a c-clip type. Here is how this should be done.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 15

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Preparing to remove the rear brake drum

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Spray a little penetrating liquid around the drum and axle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the brake drum

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Clean the brake shoes and backing plate free of dirt and dust

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Wire brush dirt from the differential cover plate to keep dirt from getting inside the housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove all cover plate bolts, but don't loose the identification tag, its very important

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Once the bolts are removed, use a flat-blade tool to pry the cover and allow the gear oil to drain

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: View of the differential carrier assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Clean the cover and housing mating surfaces good

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Rotate the carrier until the pinion shaft retaining screw is exposed, then remove the screw

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: After the retaining screw is out, remove the pinion shaft from the carrier

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Push the axle in toward the center and remove the C-lock from the end of the axle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: When the C-lock is removed, the axle can be pulled from the housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Remove the old axle seal, using a suitable prytool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Install a new seal using a suitable seal installer tool and mallet

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION