HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Thevalvebody,seperator plateandtranscase..gasket..blows..reverse

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a 98 Ford Explorer, V6, Single Overhead Cam, 4.0 Automatic with 4-wheel drive. One day, I started it up and it would not go into Reverse. The transmission is A 4LD. What should I look for? It goes forward just fine; shifts into gear without any problems.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
Reverse is a strictly hydraulically controlled gear. In other words if you unpluged all the electronics you would always have reverse and one forward gear. With t hat being said I would suspect a reverse clutch failure or blown out valve body seperator plate gasket. One way to check the seperator plate gasket is to drive the truck in manual 1st gear and wind it out to 15-20 mph and take you foot off the throttle. If the gasket is ok, the engine should brake or slow the vehicle down. if it keeps on coasting then the gasket is blown but i doubt that is your whole problem, sounds like an internal problem which would need to be torn down and overhauled or trans replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: Is this type of condition (reverse going out) a common thing that happens with this model Ford Explorer?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
No, but it is not common but does happen from time to time. A teardown of the trans would need to be done to find the root cause.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the Explorer goes into gear, but manual 1st doesn't enable the brake; it keeps on coasting.

I checked the reverse servo piston seal and gasket and they were good, but there was no spring behind the servo as my 1995 book shows. Also, there are three separator plate gaskets. Which gasket were you referring to?

I changed the fluid and filter; no effect.

Also, when I had the vehicle on racks and put into reverse, the rear wheels turned backwards. But, on the ground, nothing.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.

There are two valve body gaskets between the valve body, seperator plate and trans case. Newer plates come with the gaskets bonded to them. The gasket blows out in the right rear corner at the case to plate section of the low/reverse servo piston which does not use a spring.It also blows out at the shift & epc/tcc solenoids on the drivers side of the valve body. There is an update per a technical service bulletin for this concern.Any of the concerns listed applies to this repair:

Article No.
03-22-10

11/10/03

TRANSMISSION - 4R44E - 4R55E - 5R44E - 5R55E -
LOW LINE PRESSURE READING AT WIDE OPEN
THROTTLE (WOT) - POSSIBLE DIAGNOSTIC
TROUBLE CODES P0732, P0733, P1762 - VEHICLES
BUILT BEFORE 12/1/2001

FORD:
1995-2001 EXPLORER
1995-2002 RANGER
1996-1997 AEROSTAR
2000-2002 EXPLORER SPORT
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

MERCURY:
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB's 03-11-9, 02-13-8 and 02-08-2 to update the model coverage.

ISSUE

Some vehicles built prior to 12/1/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:

^No 2nd Gear

^No 3rd Gear

^No Engine Braking In Manual 1st.

Out of specification pressures controlled by the transmission main control valve body separator plate may be the cause.

ACTION

Verify the condition, the main control valve body separator plate may need to be updated to the latest level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION A NEW SEPARATOR 7Z490 MUST BE USED WHEN INSTALLING THE SPECIAL SERVICE KIT 7M203 OR ADDITIONAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. REFER TO THE PARTS APPLICATION CHART IN THIS ARTICLE FOR CORRECT SEPARATOR PLATE PART LISTING.

NOTE THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

NOTE AN IN-LINE SERVICE FILTER IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE ADDED OR REPLACED FOR THIS TSB.

1.Verify that one or more of the following conditions exist.

^Low Line Pressure While In Drive At WOT

^No 2nd And/Or No 3rd Gear

^No Engine Braking In Manual 1st

^DTC P0732, P0733 Or P1762

2.Install kit (3L5Z-7M203-JA) to update the main control valve body assembly, refer to the installation procedures found in the kit.

3.Reinstall the main control by continuing to follow the installation steps listed in the Workshop Manual, in-vehicle service, main control valve body.

4.After completing the procedure, verify the condition has been corrected.

5.

Clear all DTCs.