Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1996 Ford Explorer: emissions..the check engine light..bulb

Customer Question

Our 1996 Ford Explorer will not pass Texas State emissions testing because the check engine light will not come on. We pulled the dash, and replaced the bulb, however, it did not solve the problem. How do we find what the problem is and how do we fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

This is not a common problem and there is not a simple answer. I am posting the exact same ford instructions I would use at my dealer to diagnose this. Reply if you need help with this test.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Chris, I don't understand the terms of the repair, I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for.   I am looking for diag. or laymans terms
Thanks

This is the diagnostic pinpoint test we at the ford dealer use to diagnose an inoperable malfunction indicator lamp.

MIL=check engine light

EVTM=wire diagram

B+= battery 12 volt power

Junction box= fuse box

Break out box= a dealer piece of testing equipment.

Does this help. Hopefully you will not get to the step for the break out box since you want own one.