Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

how do I remove the water pump from my 94 Ford Ranger

I need step by step instructions on how to remove the water pump from my ''94 Ford Ranger pickup truck as I need to replace it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Which engine is in your Ranger? Makes a difference on directions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
V6 4 litre
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Eric: Do you need any further information?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Here are directions:

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.

• Drain the cooling system

• Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 4: To service the water pump, first drain the cooling system, then remove the engine fan/clutch ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 5: ... and the fan shroud from the vehicle

• Remove the fan and fan clutch assembly.

See Bottom for Fan Clutch Removal

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 6: Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump. Position a drain pan underneath to catch any coolant

• Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

•  

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 7: Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts ...

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 8: ... before removing the accessory drive belt ...

• Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

• loosen the alternator mounting bolts and remove the belt. On vehicles with air conditioning, remove the tensioner pulley, alternator and bracket.

• remove the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket, without disconnecting the lines, and set off to the side.

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 9: ... then with the drive belt out of the way, finish removing the water pump pulley

• Remove the water pump pulley.

• Disconnect the heater hose at the pump.

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 10: Remove the heater hose connection at the water pump

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 11: Remove all of the water pump attaching bolts ...

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 12: ... then remove the pump from the engine

• Remove the attaching bolts and remove the water pump.

• To install:
    • Clean the mounting surfaces of the pump and front cover thoroughly. Remove all traces of gasket material.

• Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 13: Remove all traces of the old gasket before installing the pump

• Apply adhesive gasket sealer to both sides of a new gasket and place the gasket on the pump.

• Position the pump on the cover and install the bolts finger-tight. When all bolts are in place, torque them to 72-108 inch lbs. (8.5-12 Nm).

• Install the pulley.

• On vehicles with air conditioning, install the alternator, bracket and tensioner pulley.

• Install the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket.

• Install and adjust the drive belt.

• Connect the hoses and tighten the clamps.

• Install the fan and clutch assembly.

• Fill and bleed the cooling system.

• Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.

FAN CLUTCH REMOVAL:

See Figure 3 through 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 3: Exploded view of the engine fan for the 4.0L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 4: Before attempting to unfasten the engine fan, check the fan shroud for indications of normal or reverse threads

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 5: Remove the air intake tube. You will need these specialized tools to unfasten the fan clutch nut

1. If necessary, remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

According to the manufacturer, the nut uses LH threads and is loosened clockwise.

1. Using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T84T-6312-C and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T84T-6312-D, or their equivalents, loosen the large nut attaching the clutch to the water pump hub.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 6: Using the special tools, loosen the fan clutch nut in the direction indicated on the shroud.

Some models have enough room between the shroud and the engine to remove the fan without unbolting the shroud.

1. Remove the two upper fan shroud retaining bolts. If the overflow hose is routed through the fan shroud, remove it from the shroud.

2. Lift up on the fan shroud to disengage the lower mounting clips.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 7: Remove the fan and clutch assembly from the vehicle

1. Remove the fan/clutch assembly and the fan shroud together.

2. If necessary, remove the fan-to-clutch bolts to separate the fan from the clutch.

This is a Paysite

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    How do we get the fan and clutch off the water pump shaft?
    Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Fan and fan clutch removal was at bottom of directions. Here they are again.

FAN CLUTCH REMOVAL:

See Figure 3 through 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
    View Full Image

Click image to see an enlarged view
    View Full Image

Click image to see an enlarged view
    View Full Image

Click image to see an enlarged view
    View Full Image

Click image to see an enlarged view
    View Full Image

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Eric: We appreciate your efforts and instructions but they are useless to us because the fan, which is the original, mounted on the water pump is NOTHING like what you are showing or describing. There are no bolts on the front side of the clutch and no way of removing that big nut between the wate pump and the fan. I give up and have to have a mechanic.
    Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

See if this looks like yours:

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    No.... I have a serpentine belt and it is nothing like your image. Also there is just a large nut between the fan and the water pump.
    Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Not sure what to tell you, that image is straight out of 1994 Ford Ranger service manual

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    We regret that the information you described and the time you gave us does not help in our situation. Thank you for trying, but we remain in the same predicament as when we started. We still cannot remove the fan and clutch from the water pump shaft and will try to get a mechanic to come and do it.